MFD Offers Warning on Dangerous Viral Video

VIDEO

January 22, 2020 - Chief Tim Sheehy and the Methuen Fire Department would like to make everyone aware of a new viral video that involves the unsafe use of electricity and fire. It involves using the plug part of a phone charger, partially inserting it into the wall outlet, and the sliding a penny down the wall onto the exposed prongs. The result is sparks, electrical system damage, and in some cases, fire. According to MA State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey, there have been two incidents in Massachusetts: one in Holden and one at in Westford, which the Department of Fire Services investigated. The student(s) responsible for starting the fire at the Westford Academy will face charges. Please be aware of this dangerous trend and call 911 in any emergency situation. Below is a Channel 7 Boston story on the incident. You can also click the following link for the Fire Marshal's full statement: https://www.cityofmethuen.net/…/files/u…/viralvideo12220.pdf