Open Space & Recreation Plan
Methuen has updated its Open Space and Recreation Plan for the 2020s, a decade which marks our community's tricentennial. The plan update has been an opportunity for the City to assess its existing park facilities, conservation lands and open areas and build local capacity to finance, maintain and manage recreation and land conservation programs.
The plan includes an inventory & condition assessment of Methuen's conservation land and recreation resources, documents needs and capacity constraints, and outlines priorities and opportunities for improving Methuen's park facilities and protecting its natural resources, all as part of a 2020s action agenda by the City. The plan maintains the City's eligibility to apply for state and federal funding programs for park improvements and conservation land acquisitions.
You can also view the Appendix GIS Map series by MVPC (PDF) and the Land Preservation Prioritization Maps done by Essex Greenbelt (PDF).
Also now available is the Documentation of Public Process and Comments Regarding the Plan and Open Space/Recreation Needs Survey (PDF).
Mayor Perry has named an advisory committee of citizens representing recreation, conservation, cultural and neighborhood interests throughout the City to guide the plan development process. View the Advisory Committee Members (PDF).
Presentations / Documents from Advisory Committee Meetings
- Introduction to Methuen Open Space Planning 2020 - Meeting Number 1 July 23, 2020 (PDF)
- Presentation on Needs Survey and Goals/Objectives - Meeting Number 2 August 27, 2020 (PDF)
For more information about Methuen's Open Space and Recreation planning process, email Joseph Cosgrove Environmental Planner.
Important Documents & Links
- Essex County Greenbelt has finalized Conservation Prioritization Analysis Maps (PDF) for Methuen in areas of environmental habitat, climate resilience, drinking water quality impact, agriculture preservation and flood mitigation now available for download.
- The Merrimack Valley Planning Commission is updating a regional Active Transportation Plan and needs your Input! Visit their NEW, FUN interactive map to tell them what bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure you think is needed in Methuen or other places in the Merrimack Valley. For more information on Active Transportation, go to the MVPC website.
- Methuen Committee on Disabilities ADA Assessment of the City-owned parks/recreation facilities
- 2013 Methuen's Open Space and Recreation Plan
- Guidance from the Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs in Preparing a Community OSRP (PDF)